WEST HARTFORD, CONN. - Junior Jameel Warney (Plainfield, N.J.) tied a career-high with 32 points and junior Carson Puriefoy (Wenonah, N.J.) finished with 22 as the Stony Brook men's basketball team topped Hartford, 74-59, Saturday night at Chase Family Arena in the regular-season finale.
Warney shot 13 of 17 from the field and 6 of 9 from the free throw line, posting his second career 30-point game.
Warney's 13 field goals tied a career-high set at Detroit last season. He also tied a season-high with 18 rebounds.
Puriefoy, who entered the game with 984 career points, tallied his 1,000th career point on a layup with 10:19 left in regulation.
The 54 combined points scored by Warney and Puriefoy were the most since the duo enrolled at Stony Brook (21-10, 12-4 America East).
Corban Wroe had 17 points for Hartford (14-15, 7-9).
Quotes . . .
"We played hard and we played good defense. Luckily for us, we had the big guy [Jameel Warney] going good for us tonight. He was locked in the whole night. 32 points and 18 rebounds are numbers you don't see too often. There was a lot of emotion in the building tonightwith Hartford honoring its senior class. I'm pleased with our effort and our intensity heading into Wednesday."
"I had my shot blocked twice to start the game. It told me that I needed to be more aggressive. Once I got into that zone, I felt like once the ball came my way, I was determined to score. Tre [Carson Puriefoy] was great for us. It was nice to see the two of us be able to lead going into the playoffs."
Stony Brook outscored Hartford, 18-5, to start the game and held the Hawks without a basket for a stretch of nearly 10 minutes before Wroe's three with 7:51 left in the first half. The Seawolves biggest lead was 25 after the layup that gave Puriefoy his 1,000-career point.
By The Numbers
• Stony Brook shot 15 of 30 compared to Hartford's 7-for-29 output in the first half.
• The Seawolves scored 40 points in a half for the eighth time this season.
• Warney's other 18-rebound effort came at Canisius in December.
• Stony Brook accounted for 13 assists. The Seawolves have recorded more assists than turnovers in five straight games.
• The Seawolves have posted a winning streak of six games for a third straight season.
News & Notes
• Warney's 32-point, 21-rebound effort at Detroit last season was a triple-overtime game.
• Hartford made 7 of its first 29 shots and had more free throws (9) than field goals in the first half.
• Warney has scored 10 points or more in nine straight games.
• Warney accounted for his nation-leading 20th double-double of the season.
• Stony Brook has won five straight against Hartford and 14 out of the last 15.
• Warney is the third player in the program's Division I history with 1,400 career points.
No. 3 Stony Brook will host No. 6 Binghamton on Wednesday, March 4 at 7 p.m. For more information, visit StonyBrookAthletics.com or call (631) 632-WOLF